Cream Puffs With Chocolate Pudding


When I was a teenager my mother bought herself a Betty Crocker Cookbook. We loved that cookbook, especially me! I seemed to spill a lot on the pages, so all my favorite recipes were marked with food. She bought me a notebook style one. After I was married I used my cookbook a lot, and soon all my favorite recipes were marked with food spots. One time when I was at my moms I decided to make something out of the favorite cookbook, and I grabbed hers and low and behold there were no food spots! She lovingly took it from my hands and replaced it with the old stained one! She didn't want me to stain her good one!

The other day I was at our local second hand store (D.I.) and I found another copy of my favorite cookbook. I decided to buy it for my 12 year old daughter, Sloan. I thought we could find some recipes that she would want to try (she's a very picky eater). She brought it to me the other day and asked if we could try cream puffs! I quickly told her yes! They are fun to eat and not to hard to make. We decided to fill them with chocolate pudding. The picture above is my cookbook on the right and my daughters on the left. Someone left some previous food spots to mark some recipes!

Cream Puffs


1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
4 eggs


Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour. Stir until it forms a ball. Remove from heat and add eggs all at once, stir vigorously until smooth. Drop dough by 1/4 cup full’s onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until puffed and golden. Cool. Cut off tops. Pull out filaments of soft dough. Carefully fill puffs with chocolate pudding and whipped cream. Dust tops with powdered sugar.
Makes 11 - 12 puffs.


This is how the dough looks after you add the eggs



Carefully drop onto ungreased cookie sheets


Chauncey takes a turn

After they are baked


Chocolate Pudding


2 cups milk
2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla


Blend sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder in a 2 qt saucepan. Add milk and egg and whisk well. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour in a bowl and press plastic wrap onto top of the pudding. Cool in refrigerator until cold.



Someone has to lick the pan, it's chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Pageviews