Measurements in the Bible

When I read the Bible, and come across measurements, I'm always curious about them.

I find it helpful to learn about them, that way when I read the Bible, I can imagine the size of what I'm reading about.


The Israelites Gather Manna in the Wilderness ...Image via Wikipedia






For example, when the Bible tells about the manna the Israelites picked up by the omer-full, if you imagine taking a 2 quart pitcher outside and picking up little seeds, you can get a feel of what they went through. I think it would have taken quite a bit of time to pick up that much manna.










Here are a few of the most commonly used measurements mentioned in the Bible and their approximate equivalents:

shekel - .4 ounces - was also used as money
talent - 3,000 shekels - 75 pounds

handbreadth - 3 inches
span - 3 handbreadths - 9 inches
cubit - 18 inches

omer - 2 quarts
ephah - 10 omers - 20 quarts

hin - 1 gallon -
bath - 1 ephah - about 6 gallons


Here are a few websites if you want to learn more about the measurements in the Bible:

Weights and Measures
Bible Weights and Measures
Online Bible Dictionary Measurements



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Pageviews