Saturday on the Farm

It's so much fun now to walk around the yard and see everything.  Maybe one of these days, I'll take a video. 

Does anyone know what kind of flower this is? I got it at church on Mother's Day, but it didn't have a tag in the pot.


I was told this plant was a house leek, but I'm pretty sure it's a Sedum, instead.


These two plants are in one of the gardens in front of the house. The Sedum is in the lower left of the picture, right behind the trellis. You can just barely see the red flower right before the 1st Hosta. You can also see the Glad foliage closer to the house. If you look behind the van, on the left side of the driveway is where our main vegetable garden is. On the right of the driveway, across from the veggies, is where the apple trees are, with the raspberries behind them.


When you go to the end of this garden, and turn left around the corner of the house, you come to the Bible Garden. A Bible garden is a garden with either plants mentioned in the Bible or plants grown in Bible lands. Sometimes, it's fun to use plants with names that have something to do with the Bible.

These are Day Lilies.


I have two of these, and they are getting lots of buds.  :)


One of the rose bushes has a bud. My two rose bushes in the Bible garden are about 10 years old, and don't have much life left in them.  They have been frost bitten too many times. You can see the dead wood in this picture. Yeah, probably should prune that.


This is my daughter Hannah checking out the Lamb's Ear on the other end of the Bible Garden.


The Lamb's Ear is shooting up, getting ready to send out the flower spike.


Look at the apples! These are not in the Bible Garden, but are along the driveaway.


The Chickens decided they wanted to go for a ride.


The Tulip Popular tree in the backyard is getting a lot of tulips on it. This tree is to the left of the chickens trying to catch a ride on the trailer. The Tulip Popular is the Kentucky State Tree.


Now we're back behind the house in the herb garden. This is Feverfew.


My son looking at all the herbs. :)


Yes, I realize that newspaper and cardboard mulch is not very attractive. But these are the only things that will stand up to free range chickens. I have used hay as mulch in the past, and I love it. Unfortunately, so do the chickens. They love to shred it, and send it all over the yard while looking for lunch. So for now, the chickens win. Pretty soon, though, they will be penned up again.  I do believe that I will miss my little buddies knocking on the front door for food, and crowing outside my bedroom window at 4:30 in the morning. Ok, I won't miss the crowing! lol



Here are some links I found helpful:

Learning About Pests & Disease
DIY Organic Fertilizer






Grab The Saturday on the Farm Button!




Saturday on the Farm is a blog carnival that lets us share links to our blog post. It's fun to visit each others farms.

To participate in Saturday on the Farm:


  • Write a post about your homestead, farm, farmette, or the tomato plant on your deck. Your cows, goats, chicken, or your favorite kitty cat. 
  • Add the link to your post (not your main page) below. 
  • Please link back to me so others can join the fun, too.
















For more Farm & Garden posts, please visit:
Homestead Barn Hop
Bloomin' Tuesday
Frugal Gardening 101
Fertilizer Friday/ Flaunt Your Flowers

OutdoorWednesdaybutton54333333333332


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Pageviews