Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

It's that time of year again. It's getting cold out. Time to start making hot chocolate!



Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

5 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 1/2 cup cocoa
3 cups sugar
dash of salt

I give it a whirl in the food proccessor to make the milk a finer powder. I had trouble with it not all dissolving when I used it just out of the box. And it makes the texture like store bought mix. I adapted this recipe from another one that used non fat dairy creamer, like for coffee. But when I worked on getting all the trans fat out of our diets, that had to leave. The kids couldn't tell the difference. They like to have mini marshmallows in theirs. But I like my chocolate straight!

We use 3 - 6 teaspoons, depending on how big your mug is. And how strong you like it to be. :)

I keep this in a canister right next to the stove. I don't have a microwave anymore (and don't want one) so I use the stove to heat the water.




Here's the original recipe that I used. It's very good, and does make a creamier hot chocolate. I just don't like all the trans-fats. Do they make trans-fat free creamers yet? Anyway, here's the recipe:

Hot Chocolate Mix

3 pouches dry milk
1 1/2 cups cocoa
3 cups sugar
1 1/3 c ups non dairy creamer
dash of salt

Enjoy a nice cup of hot chocolate with your favorite kids!


For more frugal ideas, visit:
Frugal Friday at Life as Mom
Fantastic Frugal Friday



FaveCraft

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Pageviews